Wednesday, December 5, 2012
The task force says Minnesota needs something between confinement and outright release. Golden Valley's only level III sex offender, Clarence Opheim, recently left the community to live in Minneapolis.
A Sex Offender Civil Commitment Advisory Task Force is recommending a greater variety of housing options for sex offenders, like Clarence Opheim who garnered so much attention in Golden Valley last winter and this month, according to a report the Minnesota Department of Human Services published Monday. Click on the PDF to the right to read the full report. Human Services Commissioner Lucinda Jesson appointed 15 task force members to examine the state’s civil commitment process—a system in which sex offenders are held in secure treatment facilities after they’ve completed their system. The system has drawn criticism because very few offenders have been released, culminating in a federal judge’s order in August for Jesson to convene a task …
Monday, December 3, 2012
Mayor Shep Harris said that rehabilitation and constant monitoring helped Clarence Opheim, a level three sex offender. The 64-year-old has been living in Golden Valley since March of last year and will now reside in Minneapolis.
On Dec. 4, Minneapolis police will host a meeting for neighbors concerned about a new Minneapolis resident: level three sex offender Clarence Opheim. Opheim moved to a Golden Valley halfway house last March after completing a treatment program for sex offenders. Now, Opheim is leaving Golden Valley and moving to Minneapolis. In a statement released by the City of Golden Valley on Nov. 30, Mayor Shep Harris commended local law enforcement officers. “I credit the efforts of social workers, the Golden Valley police, and other law enforcement authorities involved in the process,” Harris said in the press release. “There was much concern when Mr. Opheim first moved to Golden Valley, but the system worked! Ongoing monitoring and social services …
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Clarence Opheim, 64, who has been living in a halfway house in Golden Valley, will be moving to Minneapolis.
This week, Minneapolis police announced that Clarence Opheim, a 64-year-old level three sex offender, will be moving to the 5700 block of Sander Drive in Minneapolis. Opheim moved to a Golden Valley halfway house last March after completing a treatment program for sex offenders. In a Minneapolis Police Department fact sheet, police say that Opheim is not wanted for any crimes at this time. A flyer was distributed to residents who live in the Minneapolis neighborhood and a meeting will take place on Dec. 4 at Crosstown Covenant Church in Minneapolis. Opheim has admitted to molesting 29 children. He has lured children, both male and female, with bribes, tricks and even weapons. He was sentenced to four and a half years in prison in 1988 for …
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Golden Valley residents packed the Perpich Center for the Arts for a community meeting about a level three sex offender being released into a halfway house in the city.
A community meeting about a sex offender moving into Golden Valley drew a crowd of about 300 people. There were so many residents at Monday night’s meeting an overflow room was opened to accommodate everyone. The crowds came out to learn more about Clarence Opheim, 64, who will be released into a halfway house in Golden Valley next Monday. “I am very concerned,” Rachael Jensen said. The Golden Valley resident has two kids and is worried about their safety. “I don’t like the idea of a predator living in our community.” Opheim has admitted to molesting 29 children. He has lured children, both male and female, with bribes, tricks and even weapons. He was sentenced to 4 ½ years in prison in 1988 for sexually abusing an 11 year-old boy. Opheim …
Golden Valley Police hosted a community meeting about a sex offender moving into a halfway house next week. Do these kinds of meeting calm fears?
Golden Valley residents turned out by the hundreds Monday night to learn more about a level three sex offender being released into a halfway house in the city. Dozens of parents, neighbors and local school officials turned out to hear more about Clarence Opheim's arrival next week. Opheim has a history of sexually abusing children, admitting to molesting 29 kids between the ages of 8-17. Staff from the Minnesota Sex Offender Program were at the meeting to talk about the steps Opheim has taken to be provisionally released and the steps taken to protect the community once he moves into a halfway house near Zane and Olson Memorial Highway. What do you think? We invite you to leave your thoughts below and take our online poll.