Would you like to get a glimpse the inside the county jail or find out how your taxes are assessed?
Hennepin County is offering a Citizens Academy from Sept. 14 to Oct. 26. It will be held from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays at various places around the county. The group won't meet on the eve of Rosh Hashanah.
Registration ends Aug. 4, according to a county news release.
Here is a list of locations and topics for each day of the academy.
Sept. 14: Ridgedale Library, 12601 Ridgedale Drive, Minnetonka.
- Overview of Hennepin County
- Creating the county budget
- The elections process
- The Assessor's Office
- Tour the Ridgedale Library and Service Center
Sept. 21: Medina Public Works Facility, 1600 Prairie Drive, Hamel.
- Why emergency preparedness is important
- Roads, bridges, bike trails and traffic signals
- The county fleet
- Tour the Medina Public Works Facility
Oct. 5: Environmental Services Building, 417 North 5th Street, Minneapolis.
- Housing, public transportation and economic development
- The Interchange project
- Environmental Services
- Tour the Hennepin Energy Recovery Center (HERC)
Oct.12: Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC), 701 Park Ave., Minneapolis.
- NorthPoint Health & Wellness Center
- The Medical Examiner
- Tour Hennepin County Medical Center
Oct. 19: Adult Corrections Facility, 1145 Shenandoah Lane N., Plymouth.
- Sheriff's Office
- County Attorney's Office
- 4th Judicial District Court
- Public Defender's Office
- Community Corrections and Rehabilitation
- Tour the Adult Corrections Facility
Oct. 26: Brookdale Regional Center, 6125 Shingle Creek Parkway, Brooklyn Center.
- Overview of Human Services and Public Health
- Key department initiatives
- Participate in an interactive experience
If you would like to apply to be in the class, call (612) 348-5130 or email CitizensAcademy@co.hennepin.mn.us. You will need to give your name, phone number and address. There are 35 spots available, and all applicants will be placed by lottery.
Golden Valley held its own Citizens Academy in the spring.