By now, Minnesotans are well aware of the obvious: this year’s flu has been brutal.
According to Minnesota Department of Health data, 1,842 people have been hospitalized and 60 people have died in the state since the flu outbreak began.
On the Golden Valley, Maple Grove and Plymouth-MN Patch Facebook pages, users shared comments about how the flu has, or has not, been impacting their households.
Heidi Engels Bjugstad - Got my flu shot, but still came down with the flu at the end of November. It was miserable.
Cory Peterson - Not getting a flu shot seems silly. Why take the risk?
Abby Jimenez - Family of five. Three of us got it. My six year old had a temp of 104.5. And she had a flu shot.
Danielle Joseph - I was diagnosed with Influenza A, and I received the flu shot in September!
Lisa Sholl Dahl - I perform flu testing as a part of my job. I can't stress the importance of informing yourself with accurate information about the flu vaccine & influenza. Don't rely on old wive's tales, Internet, FB, etc for your health information. Talk to your doctor, clinic or nurse line. Too many healthy people are succumbing to organ failure and an over reactive immune system.
Sara Subby - Our good friends 5th grader has been in ICU since this past weekend with the flu and pneumonia!
Molly Mickelson Weidinger - No flu here, and no flu shots....
- All visitors should use hand sanitizer or wash hands frequently.
- Visitors, including siblings, may not visit if they have a fever, cough, sore throat or runny nose.
- No person under the age of 16, who is not a patient’s immediate family member, may visit the hospital.
- No children under the age of 5 may visit the hospital.
- Visitors will be asked to leave the hospital if they do not follow these guidelines.
- Visitors may be asked to wear a mask in the hospital.
MDH officials say the number of those hospitalized throughout the state rivals those seen during the 2009 swine flu pandemic, but that there is no evidence that the current wave of illnesses is prompted by a new virus.
If you're considering getting a flu shot, here are some places in and near Golden Valley that offer the vaccine:
- 5301 36th Avenue N., Crystal
North Memorial Clinic—Golden Valley Family Physicians
Park Nicollet Clinic
- 5695 Duluth St., Golden Valley
- 2500 Winnetka Ave. N.
- 5695 Duluth St., Minneapolis
- 4100 W Broadway Ave., Robbinsdale
Golden Valley Patch's flu coverage:
- Flu Rates Skyrocket in Minnesota; 27 Deaths Now Reported
- Hennepin County Offering Low-Cost Flu Immunizations
- ISD 281 Taking Preventative Measures Against Flu
- Simple Steps to Fight Off the Flu
- CDC Says Flu Rates Up Across Minnesota: Where to Get Flu Shots in Golden Valley