Flu season is hitting Minnesota hard.
Flu activity in Minnesota is categorized as "intense," compared to a categorization of "moderate" at this time last flu season, according to Flu Trends. Activity has become so intense that 14 southern Minnesota hospitals have tightened visitor restrictions to protect patients and staff.
The Minnesota Department of Public Health reports that for the 2012-13 season, 578 people have been hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed influenza, as of Dec. 29. Four influenza-related deaths have been confirmed this season—including St. Louis Park teen Carly Christenson.
Where To Get Vaccinated
If you're considering getting a flu shot, here are some places in Golden Valley that offer the vaccine:
- 5301 36th Avenue N., Crystal
- 5695 Duluth St., Golden Valley
- 2500 Winnetka Ave. N.
- 5695 Duluth St., Minneapolis
- 4100 W Broadway Ave., Robbinsdale
How To Protect Yourself
According to this week's CDC Flu activity report, influenza levels are on the increase not just in Minnesota but across the country. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that 29 states are experiencing high flu-like activity. It offers the following information for dealing with the flu:
See More on Patch
Most Popular articles
- Nearby News: Car Towed from Brooklyn Park Had Body in Trunk
- Minnesota Gas Prices Soaring; Where to Go in Golden Valley for Cheapest Fuel
- National Weather Service Issues Tornado Watch for Hennepin County
- 2013 Golden Valley Days Will Resume As Scheduled
- How Should Golden Valley Spend Its $219K in Extra State Money?